Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jewish Book Week

I'm delighted to have been asked to blog for Jewish Book Week (27th February-27th March), and I'm covering two sessions on Sunday 28th in which I must say I'm immensely interested. After my recent visit to Theresiestadt, there was no way that I was going to miss the session at 11 am when Ben Barkow and Klaus Leist will read from and talk about the book they have edited, Philipp Manes' account of his experiences in the camp, written in the last days and broken off in mid-sentence when he was deported to Auschwitz. And at 2 pm I'm covering 'A Beginner's Guide to Jews on the Edge', a discussion between Will Self and Adam Thirwell on 'the many possible manifestations of Judaism and whether any of these semitic permutations actually matters'.

The week looks really interesting, other speakers including Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Lionel Shriver, Anne Fine, Rebecca Goldstein and Stephen Pinker. Probably a good idea to book, which you can do here. My colleague, author and blogger Sue Guiney, will also be blogging JBW.

3 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

Lovely, I'm also blogging! I blogged about one session last year but they are much better set up this year. I'll be there on Sunday 28th, 5pm, Marcus do Sautoy. Wanna meet for a kosher sandwich?

Elizabeth Baines said...

Oh great, yes, see you there!

Sue Guiney said...

Hi T+E: I'm doing the 3 Polish sessions on Sunday the 7th. I'll miss you on the 28th, but if you're around that day let me know and we can grab something. My sessions start at 3.30 - but I could meet before. Have fun, both of you. xo