Monday, March 24, 2008

The Reality of Literature

Apropos the issue of 'realism' and 'reality' in literature, there's an article in today's Guardian by Tom Sykes recalling how just as his memoir had been accepted for publication, the James Frey scandal broke, so he ended up being made by his publisher's lawyers to check details with everyone mentioned in the book. The joke here is that while no one seemed to mind being portrayed as cheats or dissolutes, they objected to what they saw as minor misrepresentations such as hair colour and verbal ticks, but this last does hinge on a crucial issue at the heart of the debates about both authenticity in memoirs and representation in fiction.

The thing is, what 'authenticity' are we talking about? And whose authenticity? OK, so Tom Sykes sees the beard of his husband's sister as ginger, and she sees it as blond. The acceptance of her objection to this is based on an assumption that there's an objective reality. What a joke! We all see things differently - some of us are even colourblind, and if I shut one eye I can see a particular red chair in my room as more orange than if I shut the other.

What no one seems to be able to grasp is that books - not just fiction, but memoirs too - are never truly about factual reality but about one person's perception, skewed by such physical limitations, by emotion, and by that utterly unreliable factor, memory - and we are fools to expect them to be anything different.

I have written before about a similar experience of my own. I once wrote an autobiographical short story, far more autobiographical than anything else I had ever written. A chance came up to contribute to a collection of memoir pieces, and since at the time it was getting very difficult to place short stories, like a fool I sent it in. Well, my publisher too wanted to take the precaution of asking contributors to check with those who featured in our pieces, and I was forced to contact my sister. And guess what, she remembered things differently from the way I did, and I was forced to change it to her version, with the net result that the so-called 'memoir' I had published is less true to my memory, and therefore less autobiographical, than the piece would have been had I published it as fiction!

Which is why it seems obvious to me that memoirs as a literary form are pretty dubious, and as for fiction: there's no such thing as 'realism', as Will Self says - or at least beyond the reality of the author's psyche.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm currently writing a novel based on my experiences as a medic in the Vietnam war. In the authenticity mess this would, if I publish, put me in the hands of a cadre of lawyers who would go over my book with a fine toothed comb in order to see whether I spelled the name of a village in Vietnam correctly. Right? Then why should I even consider writing/publishing in the first place. This is utterly ludicrous.

Beau in Seattle

Elizabeth Baines said...

But no - fiction, unlike memoir, doesn't claim to be accurate fact and so can't be hounded for not being so (and doesn't get bogged down in it). Indeed the beauty of fiction is that its project is far higher than the pursuit of fact: the pursuit of emotional (and metaphysical etc) truth.

Elizabeth Baines said...

PS. This is as long as you publish a piece AS FICTION, and don't make James Frey's mistake and allow it to be published as memoir, the same mistake I made with my story.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for answering my question. I admit it had me very worried. Whether this piece will ever be sent to a publisher is due more to my having started this writing as an exercise to find somehow a separate peace after all these years for the events that occurred when I was obviously quite young. I am loath to part with it for that very reason. In my mind I still think of that long ago time as intensely private and still in many ways quite painful. Thus I am on the cusp of a long, unresolved dilemma. The current brouhaha merely brought my doubts with more immediacy to the fore. Thank you again. Your swift response is very much appreciated.
Beau

Elizabeth Baines said...

Yes, writing about painful experiences can feel like a terrible exposure, even when you are writing fiction, but in my experience in the end the alchemy of fiction is a kind of balm, because it makes of the experience something different, bigger and separate from your own mere private matters. Go for it, I say, and good luck with it.